The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Wednesday 26 February 2014

The look of vintage plaster flowers...

I always say you can have anything you want as long as you can figure out how to make it! And with pinterest, DIY blogs on anything, You Tube tutorials etc working out how to make anything is easier and easier.

Vintage plaster work and flowers around mirrors, frames, on gorgeous furniture, is something I just adore. I am working on some ways to reproduce these effects. I have so many things I'm working on! So these are my first attempts at some "barbola" frames and my first project a waste paper basket.

I worked out two methods. One is to use fake flowers and spray paint. The other is to dip flowers into plaster and let them dry, then arrange them on things. I have a whole heap of frames to do, the idea is for wedding photos.

Anyway this was really fun. (and messy)

I love my waste paper basket! To do this I bought a two dollar wire basket from Cheap as Chips and small flowers from Spotlight. I used the wire on them to wire them into place so they are sturdy. Then spray painted the whole thing several coats. When it dried the flowers are rock hard, just like plaster! 




I would like to do baskets. I just need to collect some then I will have a try.

Now I have frames to make over for the wedding photos and these are my first two attempts. One is big soft looking flowers and the other is tiny little roses. I really like both frames. I can imagine the smaller roses in a baby pink frame for a little girls room.




The flowers feel hard and look sculptured. I am amazed. I don't think I'll be able to sleep thinking of the possibilities for this. How about flower girls baskets, trinket boxes, beautiful mirrors, all kinds of baskets.... so many things I will be looking at now sideways considering their suitability! 

I have to admit that over the next fortnight things are going to get a bit crazy around here and in the end I may not post everyday. To get a blog up and running I have posted everyday since I started. And I'm pretty sure I usually always will but there may be days where I just can't. Also each day I post a shorter post and my projects on the Bluebirds Facebook page. This gets a lot of followers, I am amazed, I have almost 4000 over there. It is good too because it is a little more interactive. It is also much quicker so on days I am overwhelmed I will post quickly there. If you click on the fb badge here on the blog it takes you to Bluebirds on facebook. I am happy too if anyone clicks "add friend" as that then allows personal chat between us. This is how mostly I get questions or suggestions of things to post about and I have "met" quite a lot of lovely ladies and chatted to them online which is lovely!  It is also how I get updates from all my favourite blogs and people everyday which is a huge injection of daily joy! I am also happy to answer any questions or try to find a craft solution or an organising solution to anything anyone is having a problem with. I enjoy that so much! I am amazed at what we have for free. Free chat is fabulous!

Thank you all for so much support and friendship. It is wonderful to "meet" so many beautiful friends. 



8 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous Annabel!! I love what you have come up with and I will be using the ideas for frames myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye! Thanks. I have a set of five large frames, hideous. But I kept them knowing one day I would have SOMETHING I can do with them. And now with the wedding I will be wanting frames. I can't wait to get started on them!

      Delete
  2. I have a baby shower to go to and I think a pic frame with blue flowers would be good. Should I do paster of Paris and then spray paint baby blue? I was thinking of putting a rattle out something WITH flowers or...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See what spray paint colours you can get first... I think I would tend to mix a little paint right into the plaster of paris to make it a very pale blue. This would look better. And ornament would work too. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. LOVE both of these!! On the spray paint...what type of paint did you use and how many times did you have to spray it?
    For the frame...the roses are dipped in plaster of paris then glued on the frame?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also did a whole chandelier and candelabras the same way. You can dip in plaster of paris for this effect and paint or leave natural. I just totally cheat as unless you touch them you cannot visually tell so I just get cans of spray paint from the cheap shop for $2 a can and do many light layers to build up very good coverage. Might be five or six coats. You can make anything look like plaster or even wood mouldings too just with paint. I hope that helps! Love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi just wondering if u seal the flowers after dipping in plaster .. I have found that the plaster flakes after drying
    Thanks Margie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie, The ones I did were mainly copies... maybe just read my article... there was no plaster involved but it LOOKS like plaster. xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.